Sunday, January 24, 2010

You had to be there...but these things still make me laugh!


I just want to share a couple anecdotes that keep me giggling…

The other day I was home with Jacques and asked if he was hungry and wanted to eat with me.  I was going to make pasta with vegetables and cooked onions.  We added a little pesto and badaboom we had a great meal to eat.  As I was taking out the plates and getting ready to serve the pasta he said (in English), “Should we take out the FROMAGE”  and he said cheese in an American accent…I totally lost it.  It sounded like FRO-MAIGE.  I have a feeling I will pick that word up and only use it instead of cheese when I speak English or French. 

I know this observation is a bit silly but I can’t help but notice and laugh to myself when I see the leaves at the top of the metro escalator.  It isn’t a very big deal however…when do you ever see LEAVES gathered at the top of the escalator!  You know, in my head, I’m associating escalators with indoor venues like movie theatres or big department stores OR even metro underground…In Lyon they have escalators that take you up to the street, which, don’t get me wrong, is GREAT but at Place Jean Mace there are a bunch of trees…and it being fall already the leaves are falling and gathering at the top of the escalator that brings you to street level.  It is just a humorous concept to me when I see leaves stuck at the top of the escalator constantly being thrust up against the stationary platform as the stairs continue their ascent. 

Now THIS anecdote is probably my favorite so far and has DEFINITELY caused me to laugh out loud to myself…in fact, as I’m writing this right now I’m holding myself back from a nice giggle.  So at my Lycee Marcel Sembat the main floor has a big open lobby with a staircase leading up to the library to the left right when you walk in.  If you keep walking left you will pass by the restrooms which are occasionally locked…but I have the key!  Anyway, naturally during my breaks I need to use the toilette…so I’ll go in and have a choice of three stalls.  And mind you they are not stalls in a room but more like rooms on each side of a square with one wall dedicated to three sinks and a papertowel dispensor.  I go in, do what I have to do, wash my hands, and on my way out (and this has happened, unfortunately, more than once.)  I get all my things ready, fix my hair, grab my bag and swing it upon my shoulder etc… at this point I’ve got a good momentum and speed going.  I grab the doorknob of the door to exit, swing it open and… walk right into the bathroom stall!!!  So one of the bathroom stalls is right next to the exit door and I have gone into the other bathroom stall multiple times because I keep confusing the door.  Thank goodness each time that has happened I was in the bathroom alone and no one saw me! PHEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment