Friday, September 18, 2009

A New Day, A New Friend?

I have been in Lyon for a little over a week and I am happy to say that each day I seem to have a new acquaintance, whether on purpose or by accident.  These rendez-vous have been quite enjoyable save for the minor choking incident the other day.  I decided to post a little message on the facebook group “Assistants in Lyon 2009-2010” just to say that I was here and ask if anyone was interested in grabbing a drink.  Success!  I have now met two other assistants (one from England and one from Scotland).  On Wednesday I actually met Jack at his hostel in Vieux Lyon and we chatted for about two hours.  He did an assistantship two years ago in Mexico for 11 months!  He says his Spanish is better than his French (and here I’m thinking…I’m only on my second language…).  We have been communicating through facebook because neither of us have French cell phones yet.  It has been working well though.  Yesterday I met another assistant (a girl from Scotland) named Kirsten.  She had been in Lyon for a week (touring around with her younger sister) and has now settled into student housing in the 7eme.  In Europe (or I think maybe just in the UK), unlike America, students who pursue language studies are highly encouraged to spend a year in a country were that language is spoken.  It is a program called Erasmus.  Anyway, we met around 2:30 yesterday at Place Bellecour (a very common meeting spot) and decided to find a nice cafĂ© where we could sit outside (but out of the sun).  It was nice to meet a new person and we were able to share stories, talk about finding an apartment, and discuss things we have learned about Lyon so far.  We walked to the old part of the city after our drink and found a bench, where we sat down and decided to talk some more.  They are really nice…but sometimes I feel like the crazy American when I say how beautiful the small streets are or tell funny stories…but they laugh (whether its at me or with me I’m not sure…).  We also talked about how its funny that we have been meeting random people that we have communicated with through the internet.  Jack and I started laughing because I said, there is no way I would have met a random person as a hostel in America, ever!  It is different circumstances, of course, but a funny concept to the think about.  On that note, today I’m actually meeting another assistant from Germany.  She just settled into her hotel today but she is ready to explore the city a bit. 
            I forgot to mention, on Wednesday night after I met Jack I walked into the city centre for an apartment appointment I had made with two roommates both named Valentine.  Their buzzer was broken (and I still don’t have a cell phone) so we made a plan to meet outside the building at 7:30 and she would bring me up to the apartment.  It turns out, as I was waiting I found a young woman pacing back and forth in front of the building.  I asked (in French) if she was Valentine.  She said no, but she was waiting for a friend who was visiting an apartment.  She asked where I was from and I said “Je viens d’etats-unis,” and she replied, “Oh, me too!”  It turns out she was a former assistant (originally from California) and now is an English teacher at a private school here in Lyon.  Her friend, from England, was, in fact, visiting the same apartment as me.  Valentine came down, invited both of us upstairs and we all sat at a table together.  So picture this, two young animated Italian women, me, Veronica (the other American), Imogen (a thirty-something year old woman…also an English teacher), and Petra a student from Slovakia.  We were talking about how we all didn’t know many people so the wonderful Italian women said, “Let’s-a do-a DINNER, ‘ere, SAturDAY!  Everyone-a brings somesing”  (I am trying to convey the intonation and accent).  We all agreed and we’ll be having a sort of potluck dinner tomorrow night at their apartment.  Did I mention this was the biggest apartment I have seen in Lyon yet!  WAY too expensive but I got a dinner out of it!  As I left the apartment visit I walked with Petra, the student, who is from Slovakia, she goes to University in Whales, and spent the summer working in Bourdeaux (which means she speaks Slovak, English (with a British accent), and French…WOAH!).  We were walking in the same direction towards Bellecour and as we got to the centre we decided to get a drink together and I learned more about where she was from and why she decided to come to Lyon.  At around 9 we went our separate ways and said, “See you Saturday.” 
            Last night Marie, one of Genevieve’s many nieces, came over for dinner.  As Genevieve finished watching her program on television I sat with Marie, told her about myself as she kept asking questions.  It was funny Genevieve says every time Marie comes over she always wants to know what there is to eat in the house.  We ended up having dinner altogether.  Marie and I made the salad (with cucumbers and Avocados) and she made the dressing (just like I make at home – mustard, oil, and vinegar).  Genevieve heated up some left over soup, added some parsley and then concocted some sort of egg and tomato-something.  She sliced tomatoes, put them in a pan, cracked 5 eggs and let them cook as we ate our soup.  Genevieve definitely knows the definition of ‘Everything but the kitchen sink’ (AKA she didn’t have time to go to the grocery store yesterday).  We each had a piece of the chocolate cake I made and then Genevieve offered to drive Marie home.  She doesn’t live far away but she rode her bike over.  We somehow fit the bike into Genevieve’s small car (with the trunk completely open).  We dropped Marie and her bike off and planned a potential lunch for today. 
            I organized my room a little last night and today (still haven’t unpacked anything from my suitcase) but I feel, and it looks like, I’m a bit more settled than before.  We are having fish for lunch!

As Julia Child would say, “BON APPETITE!”

No comments:

Post a Comment