Friday, September 25, 2009

There Are Lizards in Lyon

           Each time I walk into town from St Foy Les Lyons I notice that there are lizards, big and little, that climb up the walls that line the small winding roads of the old city. I am secretly nervous that they will lose their grip on the wall, fall into my hair, get tangled, and cause me to jump in the middle of the street flailing my arms and inevitably embarrassing myself.  That hasn’t happened quite yet so fingers crossed. 
            My short anecdote about walking into town is relevant to yesterday, today, and tomorrow because there is a transportation strike.  I am not entirely sure, actually no one is, on how long this will last, but living in a suburb it is restricting my daily plans…  It actually took me two hours to get home yesterday from the Train station (I found one bus that took me partially up the hill).  Where was I taking the train from you ask?  I went to Grenoble!  A small city surrounded by mountains (yes, right near the Alpes).  Why was I there?  I was checking out the area because there is a position that just opened in or around the area.  Genevieve, knowing everyone and their mom, called a friend’s daughter to ask if I could stay with her while I explored the city.  It was only a 24 hour trip but I was able to see most of the city.  It is considerably smaller than Lyon and transportation consists of trams (above ground) and buses.  I stayed with Emeline, a 19 year old university student who, between high school and college, studied abroad for the year in Alaska…needless to say her English was close to perfect.  She was able to tell me about and show me around the area.  I’m glad I went to visit but as of now my situation has changed once again and I’m not sure that I will indeed have to move cities.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment