Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ode to Genevieve

I am no poet nor one to write a captivating short story so this ‘Ode to Genevieve’ is simply a recount of our past couple days and a description of who this wonderful woman is.  She is to my estimate in her 70s.  She is one of 8 children and has over 20 grand-nieces and nephews (I have seen pictures of them all).  She keeps in touch with her family quite well, in fact, she calls her older brother, a jesuit priest in Taiwan, every morning using skype.  She is divorced and was not successful when it came to having children so all the students and young travelers she has hosted have become her children.  She has pictures of all of them!  I am her newest ‘petite americaine.’  On Saturday, when I first met her in my hotel she was more than happy to take me in until I figure out my situation in France.  She picked me up at noon on Sunday, I said goodbye to Marissa and we drove to her apartment.  The elevator was broken so a couple from a another floor helped us bring all Marissa’s luggage up the stairs.  Genevieve invited them in for an aperitif for their help and we all had a small glass of a melon liquer (at 12:30pm, bottoms up!).  We sat in her living room talking about the building and how all the apartments set up differently and before I knew it we were in the other couple’s apartment to see how it was different.  Needless to say it was a completely different set up.  Anyway, Genevieve like’s to visit her neighbors and perhaps it was because she had me with her…  On our way down to her apartment we stopped at her friends apartment where I met the mother of a Lyon filmmaker who will be in this years film festival in Octobre.  When we returned to her apartment, we ate lunch (pork chops and potatoes), and then rested until around 3.  After our ciesta she took me around vieux Lyon (old city) and to two different cathedrals, one very ornate and the other ‘plus sombre.’  We took the fanicula (I don’t know if I spelled that correctly) down to old city.  There are two trams that run on the same track and right in the middle they switch and go around each other (it is imperative that they leave at the same time…or else!!).  We visited the pottery market that was set up only for two days.  We walked around a bit and then sat down at a café and we had a beer together.  For dinner we made a frozen pizza, drank rose wine, and ate grapes for dessert. 
            To give you an idea of what a kind heart Genevieve has here is a little anecdote:  We stopped to look at the ancient Roman theatre in the afternoon on sunday.  She explained to me that it was the Romans who were set up in Lyon and created the first civilization.  On our way back to the car we passed a Nun.  Genevieve asked if she needed a ride, what church she was from, and if she could aid her in any way.  The nun was early for her ride and was very appreciative of her offer.  It doesn’t phase Genevieve to help others.
            She loves wine with lunch and dinner, doesn’t much enjoy vegetables, and doesn’t consider herself much of a cook but she knows how to prepare a good meal.  We now have an inside joke about broccoli because it is my favorite vegetable and her least favorite (silly, I know).  She continues to remind me that I am ‘chez moi’ here and can help myself to anything.  She taught me how to control the TV and switch to the cable.  I have my own room but feel very comfortable hanging out in the common room.  The other day I showed her a book my sister made me with a ton of pictures of the family and she thoroughly enjoyed it.  She could see that we have a lot of fun together.  I am lucky to have found her and am glad I have somewhere to stay while I wait for news from the Academie de Lyon.

1 comment:

  1. Aww - Sara, this was sweet. Genevieve seems so wonderful from all your stories. :)

    ReplyDelete