Monday, October 12, 2009

Credit Mutuel Bank - Turn Left at the Top of the Stairs...


In the past two weeks I have made some great progress in getting settled here in Lyon.  Since I found out where I would be working I became very motivated and have moved into my apartment, met my teachers, and since last Thursday, opened a back account.  I arrived at the bank for my appointment on Thursday at 16h (4pm).  I gave them my name and the man behind the desk gave me directions to go up the stairs and sit and wait in the seating area to the left and a representative will come and fine me.  Then he asked, “C’est bon?”  to make sure that I understood his directions in french.  I said, “Oui, merci” and headed upstairs.  When I got to the top of the stairs I saw an office to the left with a great big desk to the right when you walked in and a round table with four chairs right near the entrance.  I sat down at the table and waited for someone to come and get me.  As I waited I looked around and thought it interesting that the bank would send me to an empty office, I mean, there could be some very important documents totally unprotected!  As I am pondering the situation I hear a laugh come from the hall way and it is the bank representative who I have my meeting with.  She waves me towards her with a rushed sort of motion.  She begins to laugh as she explains to me that I was indeed sitting in the head of the bank’s office.  She pointed out the chairs that were directly at the top of the stairs that I had apparently completely missed when I got up to the second floor.  It was a good introduction and we continued to laugh as we made our way to her office.  She said that she wouldn’t say anything, and that she just couldn’t believe that I had been waiting in her boss’ office!  We sat down in her office, I presented all of my documents and within a half hour, I had a bank account!

No comments:

Post a Comment